Saturday 15 November 2008

Britshness


Today we have been given an extra live project as part of our text and image unit. It is linked with two other Visual Communication courses abroad, one in Kuwait (AND NOT SURE OF OTHER,JOIN GROUP ON FLICKR). We are required to create a piece of design, illustration or photography that best reflects our home town. The brief is really broad and also has the option of creating your design based on your own country.

I'm going to focus on britain, as there are more things to choose from. Our main aim is to get across our view of the country or town we live in. I want to focus on the traditional aspect of britain and create a colourful illustration that reflects my Britain.

After much thinking and doodling on loads of paper I was able to come up with my final idea. I made the choice of keeping the text to a minimum and just have a short piece that relates to the illustration. I kept the Union jack colours (red, white, blue) throughout the illustration for obviously reasons, which I think look strong.

If I were to go back and edit the illustration, I would only make some minor adjustments; I would look at maybe changing the layout, the policeman I think could be slightly higher as the the text above doesn't look right.

I'm happy with the typeface (American typewriter), it looks strong, isn't too powerful yet gets a simple message across to the reader.

Overall I enjoyed designing my Britishness illustration and to me personally it reflects my views of the country I live in.


No comments: