Friday 7 November 2008

London Journey (Drift) & Kyle Cooper!

The day started with a sleepy bus journey up to London. When we arrived we were briefed again on what we were here for (to record and capture a sense of a journey/drift), before then splitting into groups and venturing off into the city. My group and I all agreed on deliberately getting lost to add sense of journey to our visual recordings.

We left the main group and ended up beside the Thames where I did some rough and quick sketching to capture the feel and landscape of London. Shortly afterward we walked up the Thames to the London eye where I captured good and experimental images.(link)

Close to the London eye was an arcade in which I found the inspiration for my vernacular typography.(link) There was a huge range of different typefaces along with individual and unique imagery upon the games; clearly used for luring potential customers in.

After venturing across to the southbank we came across a tunnel/walkway in which there was a smothering of graffiti all over the place. Personally the type of graffiti we saw WAS art and i totally agree with it being there; although recently on the news and papers there has been controversy about an graffiti artist, BANKSY. (banksy link)
Personally I think his work is meaningful and has a strong message of current global matters. Each one has its own message, and it leaves the viewer to their own opinion. What's yours??

After eventually finding our way back to the theatre, having even asked a thomas crown affair styled hotel doorman directions, we still made it on time (JUST) for Kyle Coopers inspirational talk.

Going into Kyle Coopers talk I didn't really have a clue who he was to be totally honest; I came out full of inspiration and ideas. He is probably one of the most inspirational people around and I took a lot in from his talk.

No comments: