Friday 7 November 2008

Editorial & paper Illustrations (Poole)

The day started with an early wake up to catch the bus too Poole. When we arrived in the bleak and miserable Poole bus station I felt like I had just stepped back in time. It was my first time in Poole and it already had a strange impression on me. It seemed the only good thing so far was the KFC I had.

After meeting the tutors and walking to the quay, we were given a short, (but very helpful) talk from Clive on using our cameras properly. We were then given a few hours to go and record visual information such as signs, photos, sounds, drawings etc. I got some really interesting rubbings from benches and signs as well as some drawings and pictures. (see link below)

Later on that week we were given two tasks; using the visual information we had had gathered from Poole we had to create a editorial and paper illustration. The paper illustration brief was given by Neil and we only had one day to complete it, whereas the editorial illustration was a project within the text and image unit and we had until the deadline to hand that in.

For the paper illustration I used influential material from Poole such as a local paper, postcards and photographs from the area to establish some ideas. My personal view of Poole was "Plastic" and "boring" to be honest; and I wanted that to reflect in the paper illustration. I used really simple colours as well as keeping it plain to get my personal opinion across.

With my visual recordings and ideas from the paper illustration I  was able to begin on the editorial illustration. I didn't want to solely base the illustrations on "my" personal thoughts of Poole, so I took the idea from another project within the text and image unit to also base them around a poem. (see link)
The finished illustrations reflect Poole both for the poem, and also my personal view of. 

No comments: