Wednesday 29 April 2009

Visual Communication in Context - TypeRadio

TypeRadio – Reflective evaluation

I wasn’t completely shore what to expect from this unit, I had only talked to some second years briefly about how they found the previous year. I was however looking forward to getting to know InDesign in more detail and learning the professional aspects to the software.

The day after we were given the brief for the new unit, we were asked to pick a designer out of a box; this was then to be our foundation throughout the entire unit. Our work and research was to be based around our individual designer, I picked Catherine Griffiths from the box. Upon researching my designer I found some really exciting and interesting work; she has a strong website with a large portfolio of work upon it. Apart from the Internet, I couldn’t really find any other articles or book to gather research from; this made my development difficult at times.

A crucial part to the unit was the transcription of our designers interview with TypeRadio. The three other students (whose designer was also Catherine Griffiths) and I agreed on specific sections of the interview to transcribe, we each had a ten-minute section each. After everyone in the group had completed their section we swapped documents so we all had an entire interview to work with.

The group poster didn’t go as I had expected it to. I had some family problems right near the deadline and felt I couldn’t offer a great deal of input. I explained with my group the situation I was in, and thankfully they were really understanding. We had a group meeting to discuss size, weights, fonts etc. for our group magazine. We all quickly came to a final conclusion of what our group magazine was going to look like. I personally wasn’t impressed with what I had produced for the group magazine, it was very rushed and not at a professional standard.

This was my favourite unit so far this year. I have enjoyed all aspects, from my design, research techniques, software and working in groups. My planning and organisation was a big doubt at the beginning of the year, but I feel as I hand in each unit I progress and am becoming a better designer for that. My diary and BlogSpot have been the biggest influence on my planning and organisation, keeping me up to date and being able to record relevant information. I feel my self-confidence has increased throughout the year and I give my opinion on work with confidence and don’t hold back. This confidence has shown in my work, I look at design in a broader, more open way, and am not so narrow minded in new techniques or styles.

Magazine spread 1

Magazine spread 2

Magazine spread 3

Magazine spread 4

No comments: