Monday 23 March 2009

Berlin

We arrived in Berlin late on tuesday evening! It was my first time in Berlin and already I could notice a massive between it, and other european capitals. It seemed extremely quiet and empty for such a massive city.

Wednesday morning we got going early to visit the Jewish museum and the Berlinische Gallery. The Jewish museum was quite surreal with crazy architecture and disturbing stories. I left the museum with a feel for how the jewish people felt and were treated during the war.
The Berlinische Gallery on the other hand was completely different, consisting of modern art in both paintings and sculptures. There was really interesting work done by Dada artists throughout the exhibition; the use of colours and typeface design really caught my eye.

Thursday started off with a visit to the Bauhaus museum. Having learnt and heard so much about Bauhaus throughout my time in art, I was actually really excited to visit the museum. Seeing original pieces of design by the masters themselves was really inspiring. I enjoyed the work of Kandinsky and it is clear how his later work was influenced by the Bauhaus. The simplicity was what blew me away; the general look of chairs, ashtrays, cutlery and paintings was great. Also that day we visited the Sony Centre and Brandenburg gate, both definitely worth visiting. 

Friday was the last day and we could do what ever we wanted really. I went along with the tutors as they were going to the Guggenheim gallery to look at the photorealism exhibition. The work of these artists is outstanding. I have heard about photorealism before, and that is one thing, but actually seeing close up is a different level. These paintings were another level and it felt as though you were actually there, in the painting! Amazing, really glad I went

No comments: